Monday, January 31, 2022

KOKOPELLI AND HIS MAGICAL FLUTE

KOKOPELLI AND DESERT ROSE Southwest Series The legend has it that Kokopelli was a hunchback and played the flute and the native American women loved him because of hiis flute music. Well, I couldn't understand that thinking until I visited Walnut Canyon, Arizona. Our tourguide took us down to the bottom of the canyon somewhere around 2001 and somewhere in this immense sandstone canyon was a flute player, his music filling the whole canyon which sounded kind of outrageous to me. I played a clarinet and the flutes were always in the front of the orchestra so I thought because they didnt sound like a trumpet or a french horn that alway blasted away. Well these instruments wouldn't have added to the atmosphere, but the flute--yes, louder than Satch at his loudest! This is a diptych so the painting on the right is Santa Fe Rose, this just came out of my imagination--to go with the iconic Kokopelli. He represents fertility, agricullture and the spirit of music, a pretty important icon. The Southwest is filled with beauty and Kokopelli is a spiritual part of this wondrous place and culture. please contact me regarding pricing lorrainestriebyproductions@gmail.com